Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Every poetry book tells a story don't it

Chris and Annie decided to round-up boxes of books in the basement and bring them upstairs to me. Disability prevents me from diving into the dungeon's stacks but my wife and daughter are only too happy to do the work if I promise to get rid of books, some of which have been sitting in the basement for more than a decade. I have a keeper box and a give-away box which will go to Phoenix Books or the Laramie County Public Library store. I get a smaller box for the keepers in an effort to fool me into thinking it's a good idea to get rid of books when actually I believe the opposite. But we are downsizing, fixing up our house and cleaning the cobwebby places with an idea to sell and move in 2022. Over the years, I have moved many heavy boxes of books. I'm retired so I have some incentive to divest.

My wife, daughter, and sons all are readers. My grown children live in an e-world but they still read physical books. They know it pains me to decide what stays ands what goes. They also know that they will inherit my library and we all know that I should be the ones making the decisions. Before passing from prostate cancer, my father split up his presidential library into five sections, one for each of his sons. I got Reagan (very funny, Dad) but also Jefferson, Grant, and Kennedy. I will ask my two remaining brothers if they want them. If not, to my son will go the spoils.

I have seen wonderful personal libraries left behind when a dedicated reader dies suddenly. Cancer killed a CSU creative writing professor and friend a few years ago. His will sent his Vietnam War books to the CSU library's special collection on the war. Thousands of others remained. I was among his associates who were allowed to pick through the books. I could have filled boxes but I chose three volumes that I now will put in the keeper box..  

Every book tells a story. I met and worked with many of the authors after I switched careers in 1988. after stints as a sports reporter, weekly newspaper editor, and corporate writer, I went back to school in the CSU MFA program. As a teaching assistant, I got involved with the visiting writers program and eventually the CSU Fine Arts Series. I met many writers in my roles with the Wyoming Arts Council, the National Endowment for the Arts, and on planning committees for book festivals in Casper, Cheyenne, and Denver. 

I have signed books by Ethridge Knight and Gwendolyn Brooks. In 1990, I was only vaguely aware of Brooks and knew nothing about Knight. An ex-con who got hooked on drugs after being dosed with morphine for wounds in the Korean War, Knight wanted to speak to prisoners so I accompanied him to the county jail. He recited his poems filled with African-American vernacular, prisons slang, and voices of the streets. I heard a different poetry that day. Like rap and spoken word, it had its own rhythms. The inmates, many of them Black and Latino, paid attention, chatted with Knight when the performance was over. 

Knight spoke as a member of the Black Arts Movement. He found his voice based on his own experiences but also influenced by Brooks, Sonia Sanchez and other African-American voices of the 1950s and 60s. You could hear similar rhythms in Brooks' poetry. A prime example is her oft-anthologized poem "We real cool." You can hear Knight's influence in rap and hip hop and slam poetry.  You can hear it in groups such as San Diego's Taco Shop Poets and the Nuyorican Poets Cafe in NYC. 

I have a signed copy of Knight's "Poems from Prison," published by Broadside Press the day he was released from prison. It's a keeper, as is Brooks' "The Near-Johannesburg Boy and Other Poems." Brooks won a Pulitzer for an earlier book, "Annie Allen."

I'm keeping Ernesto Cardenal's "With Walker in Nicaragua." Cardenal's life as interesting as his poetry. A priest de-priested by the Vatican when he got too close to the Sandinistas and liberation theology, his role was restored by Pope Francis in 2017. William Walker was a freebooter from Tennessee who conquered Nicaragua and served as its president prior to the U.S. Civil War. He legalized slavery and made English the official language in an effort to link Central America and Cuba with the South's slave states. Imagine if he had succeeded -- our country's politics would be even weirder than it is now. The book from Wesleyan University Press is bilingual with wonderful translations by Jonathan Cohen. 

"The Country Between Us" by Carolyn Forche goes in the keeper box. It includes the "The Colonel," her amazing remembrance poem of a dinner with an officer in El Salvador's death squads. Forche was a finalist in this year's Pulitzer poetry category. 

It breaks my heart when I place a pile of slim poetry books in the giveaway box. Nobody will value them like me. They may sit on the library store's shelves until its next clearance sale. Even then, they may remain unclaimed. Poetry is endangered. Much still is published but a lot of it is online and available only as e-books. The Death of Poetry has been foretold many times. Still, it persists.

Next up: What do I do with all of these novels, story collections, and memoirs? 

4 comments:

RobertP said...

Wow, Mike, bad timing. I am also discouraged from getting more books and accused of having too many (not true!). But my daughter needed my advice on something at an Estate Sale and they happened to have a lot of books. I picked up 3, Debbie was not happy. My plan was to look through them and then send 2 of them to you, knowing you might find them interesting. These are not valuable or famous books by any means. But maybe interesting, including one about the 100 best poems of all time (immediately thought of you). So if you do get a package in a few weeks, well, you can blame it on your old roomie. Maybe I will include the article from the KC Star how former UMB Pres and then KC Library head Chris Kemper has a condo with 20,000 books....

Bob

Lynn said...

I feel your pain. I have tried a "one in and one out" strategy to thin the herd of books in my house, but damned if more stragglers don't arrive all the time.

I'm especially susceptible to acquiring old, obscure hardbacks.

When my father died 20 years ago, my stepmother boxed up his books and sent them from Arizona to Philadelphia. Can't imagine what that cost. Then I visited my sister in Philly and brought a bunch back to Wyoming. Many of them are on Wyoming. Some of them belonged to my grandfather--political tomes. James Bradshaw Griffith, Sr. was in large part responsible for bringing the Wyoming Republican party up from nothing during FDR's time. Yeah, sorry about that. Wonder what he'd think about all his granddaughters becoming Democratics? Wonder what he'd think about the state of his party?

But I digress...

Crack on, Mike. Enjoy the process of combing through your collection, even if the pain of separation is inevitable.

Michael Shay said...


Bob: I eagerly await any package from you as they always are interesting. So, I get rid of some books and I accumulate some books. That's the way of the world. I am currently reading "The Life She Wished to Live: A Biography of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings" by Ann McCutchan. Ann lives in Laramie but hails from Florida, thus her interest in Rawlings. I plan to review the book. Rawlings spent a lot of time in Gainesville when she lived in the neighborhood at Cross Creek. She left all her papers to UF Libraries. Didn't think much about Rawlings when at UF as I concentrated on 1970s writers such as Harry Crews, Hunter Thompson, etc. Now that I'm getting to know her, wish that I spent more time in the library stacks with her papers -- I already spent a lot of time there -- and at her old homestead in Cross Creek, now a state park. I plan to visit next time I'm down there. Meanwhile, I keep sorting through my books wishing that I wasn't sorting through my books.

Michael Shay said...

Lynn: Next time I see you I must remember to thank your forebears for the political mess we're in now. Kind of neat that you all turned into Wyoming Democrats. I have just bought two new hardcovers, a bio of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and "The Disappeared" by C.J. Box. Haven't read any of the newer Box novels but thought I'd give this one a try as most of the action happens in Carbon County and I just visited the Carbon County Museum for a feature article I'm writing. Summer is for reading, among other things. I hope your writing goes well.