Monday, May 06, 2024

The biopsy van stops here

Crash

Grief clouded my sight and

I rear-ended the van bearing biopsies

Bound for the cancer lab, one of them snipped

From my wife. The rear door flew open

I expected an avalanche of plastic bags, little slips

Of skin, viscous liquids, knobby tumors. But

nothing. And then a blooming flower, pink and white, on

a long green stem grows through the open door.

Out of the open door amidships

More blooms, others bright with purples and white

And oranges, many colors, fanciful shapes.

I knew then everything would be all right, there

Were no ugly lab-bound surprises, just a field of

Flowers at their peak, gloriously and forever alive.


3 comments:

RobertP said...

Mike,

That is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Michael Shay said...

Taking a different look at cancer.

"100 Years of Solitude" coming to a streaming service near you. Not sure if that's good news or bad. I'll give it a look.

RobertP said...

Yes, me too. My favorite book ever and thanks to you for giving me a copy way back when.