Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Dear Mr. President: Don't capitulate on "fiscal cliff" negotiations

Kos on Daily Kos posted tonight about President Obama's capitulation on the so-called "fiscal cliff" negotiations. There's an e-mail petition to sign if you've a mind to. I did. This is what I said, which is part DK boilerplate and part me:

Mr. President: As of today, I am three years away from retirement. I expect to find my investment in Social Security intact when that day comes.

Please don't cave in to Republican blackmail. Stop proposing cuts to Social Security.

Social Security does not contribute even $1 to the deficit, and is 100% solvent for over 20 years according to even the most pessimistic projections. It should not be a part of the fiscal showdown negotiations.

Please live up to your campaign promise of not balancing the budget on the backs of the middle class. 

No comments: