Monday, December 29, 2008

Veep is clueless about low approval ratings

Now that Americans have repudiated everything that V.P. Dick Cheney stands for (or lies about standing for), we will have to bear his prattling on and on and on as he returns at least part time to Wyoming.

Jared Miller interviewed Cheney for the Casper Star-Tribune. In it,

Dick Cheney spoke about his future plans, why his term in office has been so controversial, and the role his office played in keeping the east entrance of Yellowstone National Park open in winter. Cheney spoke with the newspaper from
his home in Teton County, where he was spending time with family.


Asked about the Obama Administration's (love the sound of that) impact on Western issues, he said:

I guess Sen. Ken Salazar from Colorado is going to take the interior (secretary) job. I think that's helpful to have somebody from Colorado, the Rocky Mountain West, in that post. Now, you know I'd rather have a conservative Republican, given my view of the world. But Democrats won the election, and they get to fill those posts, and we'll see how they do.


I love this question from Miller: "How do you explain your low approval rating?"

I don't have any idea. I don't follow the polls.


LOL

Asked to assess Cynthia Lummis, who ran a lie-laden, mean-spirited, Barbara Cubin-style dirty campaign against Democrat Gary Trauner, Cheney replied:

I thought she would make a very able congresswoman, and I'm sure she will do an excellent job. I thought she ran a good campaign. She knows Wyoming. She's obviously spent a lot of time in public office in Cheyenne, as well as in the ranching business. She's known all over the state because of the time she spent as a statewide office holder. So she starts with an excellent base in terms of putting together a successful career in the House.


Why Wyoming?

We've always considered Wyoming home. It's where we vote and pay taxes ... it's always been an important part of our lives. Now we'll have the opportunity to spend more time here.


"Any future political plans?"

Uh oh.

I've been involved now for a long time... I ended up spending most of my career in politics in government, and I've loved it. But I think there comes a time to step aside, and I've reached that point in my career. We've got a lot of new talent coming along, good people ready to take on major responsibilities, and that's all to the good. Some of us have had a shot at it as I have over the course of the last 40 years. I think it's time now for us to step aside and watch from the sidelines. If I can be helpful from time to time I will, but I have no desire whatsoever to get back into elected office."


That's good news. But Cheney has always been known as a big fat liar.

No comments: