Monday, September 22, 2008

I'm voting absentee for the first time

A talking head on one of Denver's TV stations said that it may take as long as 20 minutes for each voter to complete the state's very long general election ballot. This could mean Florida-like chaos in the Mile High City on Nov. 4.

The Wyoming ballot is much shorter. Still, I'm going to vote absentee this year for the first time. I have enjoyed trooping off to the polls since the first time I voted in 1972. As a Wyoming state employee, I get an hour off to vote. I wish that all employers in the state did this.

I'm not concerned that thousands of registered voters will show up and clog the lines at my precinct. I already know who I'm voting for, not just for president (Obama) but for state and local offices. No amount of negative advertising by John McCain could influence me.

Absentee voting begins in Laramie County on Thursday, Sept. 25.

Here are the details from the county clerk's web site:

Absentee voting begins 40 days prior to each election. For the convenience of Laramie County voters, the Clerk's Office has an absentee polling place located in the Atrium of the Laramie County Governmental Complex, 309 W. 20th Street. This polling place is open from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for the 40-day period prior to the election. Voters wishing to cast an absentee ballot may visit this polling site or:
  • Call 633-4242 to request a ballot which will be mailed to the address provided
  • Write to P.O. Box 608, Cheyenne, WY 82003 to request a ballot
  • Bring a written request to the Elections Office at 309 W. 20th Street and pick up a ballot

Absentee ballots must be received in the Clerk's Office by 7 p.m. on the day of the election to be counted.

There have been reports of voter intimidation at the Atrium during previous elections. Don't take any crap. Notify the county clerk of any untoward behavior at the polls. Also report it to the Laramie County Democrats. Or post a comment on this site.

And good luck to all you Colorado voters. You are going to need it.

No comments: