Monday, December 17, 2007

Arthur C. Clarke wants "to be remembered as a writer"

"Sometimes I am asked how I would like to be remembered," said Arthur C. Clarke at his 90th birthday Sunday in Colombo, Sri Lanka. "I have had a diverse career as a writer, underwater explorer and space promoter. Of all these I would like to be remembered as a writer."

Clarke, author of 100 sci-fi books including "2001: A Space Odyssey," listed three wishes on his birthday: for the world to embrace cleaner energy resources; for a lasting peace in his adopted home, Sri Lanka; and for evidence of extraterrestrial beings.

"I have always believed that we are not alone in this universe," he said.

Humans are waiting until extraterrestrial beings "call us or give us a sign. We have no way of guessing when this might happen. I hope sooner rather than later."

No comments: