Thursday, June 26, 2014

Thoughts on gardening in the hail zone

I wrote this on Wednesday morning but didn't get around to posting until today:

Watch a hail barrage shred months of work. It’s merely an inkling of what a farmer must feel. Farmer stands at the edge of his/her field and surveys rows of plants decimated by last night’s hailstorm. That means loss of a livelihood. For me, it’s a major disappointment but I won’t starve. 

One of my friends said, “Forget gardening. This is the third year in a row this has happened.”

I escaped last year’s storms and had a bumper crop of tomatoes. Two years ago, I was too depressed to garden. Three years ago, back-to-back July hailstorms got my garden and roof and car. 

Sucks.

I have other friends who garden in small greenhouses and high tunnels and cold frames. Mini-greenhouses are all the rage for street cafes and backyards. Some limit their gardening to containers and move them into shelter as needed. I do that, too. I moved my containers under shelter on the back porch but the storm came in from the south and attacked my plants. They have protection when a storm comes from the west or north. Not so with those from the east or south. This one came from Colorado. Thanks, Greenies. 

Farmers’ markets are starting up around the region. Wonder how those family farmers made out? 

2 comments:

RobertP said...

MIke,

Might explain why Wyoming was not known for its farms. not to rub it in, but just had a BLT with my first homegrown tomato of the year. Looking like a good crop and no hail so far.

On the plus side, hail has bought me 2 roofs. And thanks to a zero deductible comprehensive coverage on the cars, hail is my friend, especially since I don't mind driving a hail dented car.

Good luck on the Garden and don't give up.

Bob

Michael Shay said...

Yes, Bob, I am jealous about your homegrown tomato BLT. As I ponder my shredded plants, I realize I am far away from my own tomatoes and almost everything else. Growing anything is a challenge here but I persevere because I must.