Friday, December 30, 2011

This Is Why We Fight: Progressive blogging, from the pulpit to the streets


Video production by eninaoj

I was listening to The Decembrists’ “The King is Dead” for the umpteenth time when “This is Why We Fight” got stuck in my head. Why do we fight, we progressive bloggers here in Wyoming? I sort of knew why I fight but I wasn’t sure about the rest of our ragged little band. So I came up with a few questions that I sent to some of the consistent bloggers on the “WY Progressives” blogroll (see right sidebar). First up is Rodger McDaniel, founder, writer and editor of Blowing in the Wyoming Wind.

Q: Tell us a bit about yourself.

A: I was born on January 10, 2011 when I retired from the State of Wyoming and became free to blog about issues that matter. In another life I served 10 years in the legislature, was the Democratic Party nominee for the U.S. Senate in 1982, practiced law for 18 years and, in the Freudenthal administration, I was the director of the Department of Family Services and head of the state's mental health and substance abuse programs. Currently I am a preacher, a grandfather, and a blogger.

Q: Why do you blog?

A: I blog because I can. I realize there are many people who because of their jobs or other reasons are not free to speak out. I am and enjoy doing so. I don't have to worry about getting elected or being fired.

Q: Any predictions for 2012?

A: Obama will be the only winner in the GOP primaries. One of the GOP candidates will tell the truth about something (I have no way to predict who it will be but more likely Ron Paul than Michelle Bachmann). The U.S. Supreme Court will uphold the Affordable Care Act and find state laws prohibiting same-sex marriage to be in violation of the U.S. Constitution. One war will end and at least one more will start. The Wyoming Legislature will provide even more fodder for outlaw bloggers. I will finish writing my book on Lester Hunt's life. (Not so sure about that last one!)

Q: What's your favorite song, whether it's from 2011 or from some other year?

A: My music development was arrested in my disc jockey days. Therefore it is a Beatles song "In My Life."

Rodger McDaniel: From the altar...
....to the streets, with Occupy Cheyenne.

No comments: