Saturday, March 13, 2010

"Social Justice Christians" out themselves

Sojourners invites "Social Justice Christians" to send a letter to Glenn Beck. The message is designed to "out" the letter writer in the eyes of his/her chosen church, and in the clouded vision of Mr. Beck. To write your own customized response, go to http://go.sojo.net/campaign/glennbeck_socialjustice.

Here's my letter:

I'm a Christian who believes in the biblical call to social justice. I learned this lesson from my parents and at thousands of Catholic masses and during many Catholic school classes.

I learned my lessons well. When my Catholic Church abandoned social justice to make pacts with the unjust of the Christian Right, I stopped going to church.

I stand in the tradition of the Hebrew prophets and the teachings of Jesus that demonstrate God's will for justice in every aspect of our individual, social, and economic lives.

I hereby "report" myself to you. If I still attended church, I would report myself to the appropriate authorities. They now have no authority over me.

No comments: